Earth Hour 2009 in Singapore – Esplanade Park

On 28th March 2009 at 2030 hrs , Singapore played her part in Earth Hour 2009 by switching off its lights for 1 hour and highlighting the cause and importance of saving and protecting our beloved Earth.

Before that, the Esplanade Park was alive with activities and concerts prior to switching off of the lights around the event ground and the buildings around nearby to Esplanade Park. There were different activities happening around the marquees, with Earth Hour 2009 sponsors giving it a strong presence and the Singapore Scouts were very active in making Earth Hour 2009 Singapore colourful with their activities and artwork and passing down the message to the future generation of Singaporeans in our cub scouts.

There were also great crowds around the Esplaande Park, with participants sitting around the grass patch, with their picnic mats and goodies, lighting up candles and a electric lamp by Phillips. When the lights go off at 2030hrs, it was an awesome sight to see the brightly lit candles. The buildings around the Raffles Place and City Hall area switched off their external facade lights, as I did not bring my tripod, I couldn’t really capture the lovely night sceneries. On the stage, the participants were given a great unplugged performance under the beautiful moonlight and candles lighting up the area.

I was glad to be part of Earth Hour 2009 Singapore, with everybody taking a part in it, we all combine our strengths to make a difference to Earth Hour and spreading the message across to everybody around the world that, we can, we need and we must take care of our Planet Earth

More photos can be viewed here

How was your Earth Hour 2009 event like in your home country ?

FILED UNDER: Uncategorized

Comments

1. RennyBA says:

What a wonderful contribution and how great to see you gathering in Esplaande Park – together you stay strong!

Very nice pics too!

If you update your post to my Blogger’s Earth Hour Link Love Chain, I’ll add your post.

2. I was at the Esplanade. The crowd clapped when the lights went off. 🙂

3. Join Bloggers Care for the Earth Link Love chain. Put it in your post for more links.

4. Monica says:

Nice capture! it was quite successful here although not everyone participated 😉

5. roentarre says:

The candlelight is very interesting. The event is covered very well by you

6. Cashmere says:

It’s cool that Singapore joined this campaign. I hope this will be an annual event. I didn’t manage to go to Esplanade but i’m sure the atmosphere is great over there.. and I hope you had a great time.. 🙂

7. Jinghui says:

Hi Renny

Thank you for your contribution to Earth Hour too !

I would spread about Earth Link Hour Love Chain too !

8. Jinghui says:

Hi eastcoastlife

Thanks for your contribution to Earth Hour too !

I would spread about the Earth Link Hour Love Chain too !

9. Jinghui says:

Hi Monica

Thanks for dropping by !

Glad to hear that Earth Hour was successful in your area ! Even though not many people participated, everybody who participated & played a part helps in spreading Earth Hour !

10. Jinghui says:

Hi roentarre

The candle lights there made the Earth Hour event very interesting, thanks for your kind comments on my coverage of the Earth Hour event, appreciated !

11. Jinghui says:

Hi Cashmere

It’s a great event for Singapore to be part of and I believe it will be an annual event in Singapore in the years ahead.

I had a great time there and the atmosphere was great ! There would more opportunities in the future !

12. […] has always been spreading are of utmost importance and understanding. Singapore hosted its first Earth Hour in 2009 at the Esplanade Park and it was really wonderful with the participation, publicity and messages. Do check out my […]

13. roentarre says:

I am very interested to see your images of Singapore where the life there resembles my childhood in Taipei

14. iWalk says:

I hope we can have such a earth hour like this next year! I hope more and more people join next year!

15. business law says:

the cande light simbolize that we care about our earth now and ever after

16. Jinghui says:

Hi roentarre

Do drop by my flickr account and view the photos there ! Quite a handful of photos on Singapore !

17. Jinghui says:

Hi iWalk

Hope Earth Hour can kick start in your area next year !

We need to encourage more people to participate and know about Earth Hour !

Let’s all do it together !

18. Jinghui says:

Hi business law

Thanks for dropping by !

Love the comment you wrote here !

The symbolism of the candle light !!

19. Nicole5 says:

i always participate whenver there is an Earth Hour event. it is a good thing that the World Wildlife Fund organized an event like this.

20. Jinghui says:

Hi Nicole5

Nice of you to drop by ! Yup, let’s all make the world a better place for us and for our future generation !

21. […] Marina Bay Singapore, held at the Float @ Marina Bay. I started supporting Earth Hour movement in 2009 when it was held at the Esplanade Park. Do check out my photos from Earth Hour 2009 and Earth Hour […]

22. […] Hour has been a worldwide movement that I have been supporting over the past few years, Earth Hour Singapore 2009, Earth Hour Singapore 2011 and Earth Hour Singapore 2013. All of us can play a part in Earth Hour, […]