The Canon PowerShot G1X Mark II is Canon’s latest flagship digital compact camera, a powerful and most premium amongst Canon’s digital camera lineup. Among all the compact digital camera brands and models in the market today, the Canon G1X Mark II definitely stands out in the advanced/powerful compact digital cameras with a large sensor for her class of cameras.
Photograph Courtesy of Canon Singapore
I brough the Canon G1X Mark II to cover major events during the two weeks review period and it was a good, lightweight and powerful compact digital camera that gave me the connectivity to upload and share on social media channels and platforms. I worked with the Canon G1X Mark II during major events DBS Marina Regatta 2014, Play @ NMS and Masak Masak: My Childhood. On both major events, I was able to share and upload photographs that I took with the Canon PowerShot G1X Mark II into my iPad and iPhone for uploading and sharing on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
Besides the major events that I attended and covered during the two weeks review period, I brought the Canon G1X Mark II on a daily walkabout camera on a few days, for street photography and food photography. The clarity and quality of the Digic 6 sensor makes it produce pretty good quality photographs from my night street photography walkabout.
During my two weeks with the Canon G1X Mark II, I had a good mix of different experiences with it and here are my thoughts, views and opinions on the pros and cons of the Canon G1X Mark II –
– One touch wi-fi button to connect the Canon PowerShot G1X Mark II to the smartphone or tablet.
– Shutter is quiet.
– Rubber hand grip/padding on the side and back of the camera giving photographers a better feel and grip of the camera.
– Many features packed inside a compact camera body.
– The built of the Canon G1X Mark II is solid and firm.
– Digic 6 sensor.
– Colours and details on LCD are sharp and bright.
– There is the option of adding on an electronic viewfinder (EVF) to the Canon G1X Mark II for photographers who wish to shoot through viewfinder.
– An intelligent and powerful compact digital camera packed with features and functions.
– 31 points Auto Focus.
– 1.5” type CMOS sensor
– 5X optical view with Image Stabliser
– 180-degree upward and 45-degree downward tilt touch screen LCD (good for selfie, wefie)
– Magnesium alloy body, sturdy, solid and strong
– Dual Control Rings for greater control
– Remote shooting can be performed with the Canon G1X Mark II connected to the Canon Camera Window app on the smartphone/tablet.
– The Canon Camera Window app allows you to view the photographs on the Canon G1X Mark II and you can download it into your smartphone/tablet for sharing on social media channels and platforms.
– On/Off button is placed in between dial and shutter button, it can be difficult to press and the button is small.
– Play/View button on the top panel is small and might be easily missed
– The round dial at the back of the camera is small and has other functions together inside, thus resulting in accidental activation of other functions when turning the dial.
– In Manual mode, for photographer who wants to control both the shutter and aperture, it can be confusing on how to change them, having to press the Change Setting button twice before it can be activated for the photographer to be able to use and control shutter and aperture.
– The zoom lens is a bit lagging when zooming in and out from wide to telephoto.
In Manual mode, the front focusing ring on the lens allows you to change shutter speed. When the Change Settings button on the back dial is pressed twice, the front focusing ring allows you to change the shutter speed and the back dial allows you to change the aperture. This function can be a bit troublesome at times and would need a bit more time to get the hang of the functions and buttons of the Canon G1X Mark II.
The latest photography accessory to Canon’s line up is the Electronic Viewfinder, the EVF-DC1, and it is an optional accessory that can be mounted on the Canon PowerShot G1X Mark II. Having the EVF-DC1 gives the photographer using the Canon G1X Mark II a professional DSLR feel and control with the ease and point-and-shoot convenience.
The EVF-DC1 is an ideal photography accessory and welcomed by purist photographers who prefer to shoot through the viewfinder. It is clear and bright when shooting through the electronic viewfinder. The speed is pretty fast when the photographer’s view changes from LCD screen to the electronic viewfinder.
If you plan to own the Canon PowerShot G1X Mark II, I would strongly recommend the Canon EVF-DC1! Nothing beats the feel of viewing and shooting through the viewfinder!
The Canon G1X Mark II stands out in her class of advanced/powerful compact digital cameras available in the market. If you are looking for a daily usage, events or travel compact camera, the Canon G1X Mark II is strongly recommended for your consideration! Do check out my collection of photographs shot with the Canon G1X Mark II here on Flickr!
I would like to thank Canon Singapore and Ogilvy Public Relations for this opportunity to test and review the Canon G1X Mark II.