The 2014 Sony World Photography Awards (SWPA) is now open for entries and welcomes submissions from photographers all over the world. It is organised by World Photography Organisation (WPO) and it is open to Professional, amateur, youth and student photographers. This annual contest is widely recognised as the leading global photographic awardsprogramme, where talents across many diverse fields of photography are discovered and both professional and amateur photographers are invited to share their talents on a global stage.
The winner of the 2014 L’Iris d’Or/Photographer of the Year title will be presented with USD$25,000 and the OpenPhotographer of the Year will receive USD$5,000. All category winners will receive the latest digital imaging equipment from Sony and the Student Focus winner will receive new, cutting edge Sony equipment for their university. Winning and shortlisted photographs will also be published in the 2014 edition of the Sony World Photography Awards book and exhibited at Somerset House, London.
The 2014 Sony World Photography Awards include the following competitions:
- Professional – 15 categories judged on a series of work
- Open – 10 categories judged on a single image
- Youth – three categories for photographers under 20
- Student Focus – for higher education photography students aged 18-30
The Open and Youth competition will close for entries at 23.59 GMT on Monday 6 January 2014 with the exception of the Professional competition which will close at 23.59 GMT on Thursday 9 January 2014. A list of categories can be found in the notes to editors below.
The key dates for the 2014 awards are:
- 6 December 2013 – Student Focus competition closes
- 6 January 2014 – Open and Youth competition close
- 9 January 2014 – Professional competition closes
- 4 February 2014 – shortlist for Professional, Open and Youth competitions revealed
- 18 February 2014 – Student Focus shortlist announced
- 18 March 2014 – Open and Youth winners revealed
- 31 March 2014 – Outstanding Contribution to Photography recipient announced
- 30 April 2014 – L’Iris d’Or/Photographer of the Year plus Professional category winners and Open, Youth and Student Focus Photographers of the Year revealed at gala awards ceremony held in London
- 1 May to end-May 2014– 2014 Sony World Photography Awards Exhibition at Somerset House, London
Further details about the Sony World Photography Awards and the World Photography Organisation can be found atwww.worldphoto.org.
Whether you are a professional, amateur, youth or student photographer, this would be a great opportunity to put yourself to the test and learn more about your photography, styles and improve by taking part in competitions such as the Sony World Photography Awards. By participating in photography competitions, we can also learn and improve from observing other fellow photographers styles, perspectives and views. Do drop by Sony World Photography Awards website and enter the competition!
Information above courtesy of Sony Singapore and Waggener Edstrom Worldwide.