An exciting array of arts experiences, from visual arts, theatre, music, literary arts, dance, are coming into the heartlands of Singapore over three weekends in the month of March, introducing Arts in Your Neighbourhood (AYN) 12-29 March 2020. This edition focuses on this heartland neighbourhood Bukit Panjang.
Taking place in eight locations around Bukit Panjang, AYN 2020 programmes and events include street art trail brought to life with Augmented Reality, interactive dance performance that is inspired by a lost kampung game of the past. There are also photo-worth installations for your Instagram and social media sharing.
With a wide variety of programmes taking place during AYN March 2020, I would highlight some of the programmes on offer that might be of interest to you folks!
The Outer Space
NaturEscape: 139 Petir Road | Wisdom Tree: 257 Bangkit Road | Shadows & Scars: 133A Cashew Road (Ramps) & 139 Petir Road (Void Deck) | Holland-Bukit Town Council (Playground/Open Space Outside)
A street art trail around Bukit Panjang from 12-29 Mar, curated by homegrown street artist ZERO, featuring 4 distinct outdoor works by SPAZ (in collaboration with The Super System), SYCO, TraseOne and Atomick. In an attempt to view and embrace the unknown as a form of play and exploration, the artists engage with the community in Bukit Panjang through various activities, discovering interesting narratives unique to the neighbourhood!
Bedok Town Square, 15 Mar, 3pm | Toa Payoh HDB Hub, 21 Mar, 6pm | Hillion Mall, 28 Mar, 5pm
An interactive dance performance inspired by “Zero Point”, a lost kampung game of the past. Using rubber bands, BOUND explores the theme of boundaries, how they can restrict, confine and yet also define the body and space.
Pang Sua Pond Boardwalk & Outdoor Amphitheatre | 28 & 29 Mar, 4.30pm-6pm
This dance performance and parade raises awareness of Earth Hour, with the performance co-created between children and artists. In finding cyclical patterns in their bodies and in nature, they create specific dance moves to be performed together with audience-participants and animate the values behind the expression “what goes around, comes around.”
Floral Trails: Reading the Garden City
Bukit Panjang Public Library | 12-29 Mar, 11am-9pm
Marrying literary texts inspired by nature with this floral installation, visitors are transported through sensory engagement with the textures, scents, and visual aesthetics of flora and fauna.
Back of the Bus (ticketed)
Bukit Panjang Hawker Centre and Market (meeting point) | 14, 15, 21 & 22 Mar, 9.30am & 11.30am, 19 & 20 Mar, 5pm & 7pm
Ride on a bus through the streets and sights of Bukit Panjang! Dancers propel themselves along the aisles and hang from the ceiling. Physical comedy, pure kinetic energy and outrageous scenarios combine to create a magical mystery tour of the unexpected.
For more information on AYN March 2020, visit Arts in Your Neighbourhood to download their program booklet!
Time to bring your family and children out for an experiential arts weekends at AYN 2020, bask in the sunshine, take in the fresh air of the outdoors, enjoy and have a bonding time over the different genres of arts experiences on offer during AYN 2020.
I would be planning to visit AYN March 2020, going to check out the various programmes and schedule, keep a lookout for my posts and updates on my Instagram! Do share your photos and experiences with the hashtags #ArtsInYourNeighbourhood and #AYNMarch2020 when you are visiting Arts in Your Neighbourhood (AYN) 2020!
*** Update 25th March 2020 ***
Due to the ongoing and evolving COVID-19 situation, in line with MOH’s advisory on Tighter Measures to Minimise Further Spread of COVID-19 issued on 24 March 2020
The following Arts in Your Neighbourhood programmes are cancelled:
- A Collection of Things, all Sat 28 March and Sun 29 March shows
- Podscape Pop-up & Fringe Activities: 9am—12pm, 28 March; Installation will also be removed
- BOUND, 5pm, 28 March show
- Rolling On, 4.30pm–5.20pm, 28 & 29 March Performance & Parade
- The Mighty Mousedeer of the Forest, 4pm & 6pm, 29 March shows
- Melodic Flowers, 5pm, 29 March show
- Kembara Kelana, 6pm, 29 March show
- The Outer Space*’s Pag-Ahon + Meningkat artwork at the open space outside Holland/Bukit Panjang Town Council
- Character Clash art installation
- Floral Trails: Reading the Garden City installation
- Poems on Air exhibition
Here’re programmes that you can still catch or enjoy online:
- The Outer Space*: These street art murals can still be viewed all day, until 29 March.
- NaturEscape at 139 Petir Road
- Wisdom Tree at 257 Bangkit Road
- TraseOne at 133A Cashew Road (Ramps) and 139 Petir Road (Void Deck)
- Podscape: Podcasts of the stories and sounds of Bukit Panjang will still be aired online at https://www.shophouseandco.com/podscape.
- Poems on Air: Recordings of poems selected and retold through voice, music, and sound will still be available online at https://artwave.studio/poemsonair.
Arts in Your Neighbourhood (AYN) 2020
Dates: 12th to 29th March 2020
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/NACSingapore/
Hashtags: #ArtsInYourNeighbourhood and #AYNMarch2020
* Information and pictures courtesy of Arts in Your Neighbourhood and Ogilvy *